SEO (Search Engine Optimization) involves many steps, and GOOD SEO is vital to having your website rank well with the Search Engines.
To prepare your website for the Search Engines it is necessary to add meta data (keywords and descriptions) to every page - your page titles, article titles, sub-headings, and body content.¬† It is essential that these components are not too long or too short, or your website will be penalized.
Your main keyword should appear in the URL (Universal Resource Locator) i.e your domain name of the page, the title of the page, within the first paragraph, and a few times more on the page. Each page should have labelled images and outgoing links if possible.¬† There are many more "rules" that will determine if your Search Engine Optimization is functional and efficient.
Some Search Engine Optimization Guidelines
- The focus keyword should appear in the URL of the page, at the beginning in the SEO title, in sub-headings, and in the first paragraph of the content.
- The SEO title should not be too short or too long.
- The keyword should be unique and not used on any other pages.
- The keyword(s) should not be over-used in the content, but it must appear a few times.
- The meta description/snippet should contain the focus keyword at the beginning, and must not be too long or too short.
- The images on the page should be labelled with the focus keyword.
- The content should have a minimum of 300 words, more is better.
- Each sub-heading should not have more than 300 words following.
- Sentences should not be more than 20 words.
- Do not use a passive voice.
- The page should have internal and external links
- Permalinks, SEO titles, meta descriptions & snippets should not contain any stop words like "a", "and", "the", etc
After the SEO is complete for every page we will create a sitemap, which is a document that helps the Search Engines find all of your pages, some of which they might otherwise miss when they are "crawling" and "indexing" your website.
There are hundreds of Search Engines but only a few big ones like Google, Bing and¬†Yandex. The smaller Search Engines feed off the big ones, so when we submit to the big ones, the small ones will also find your website.
BEST WEBSITES¬†will optimize your website, create a sitemap, verify the site with each of the big Search Engines, and then submit it at least once a month so that they will know your site is active and worth listing.
Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of SEO.
NOTE:¬† We create each of your pages with all of the bullet points mentioned above, but this does not assure you will rank higher than your competitors.¬† Your ranking will depend on your industry, the amount of content you have, how active/current your website is, and what you have to offer.¬†¬†
If you want to hire a specialized company for your Search Engine Optimization, here is a list of the Top SEO Companies in Canada